– 3 April 2019: Details of the Friends’ 2019 Visits Programme are now available. Eight visits are scheduled between 26 April and 30 September 2019. Please see here for the Visits Brochure and Booking Form.
– 1 October 2018: Important message for all members: Incorporation of Friends’ Charity as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) – see here for more details in the members’ area (via Members/Governance).
Helping to preserve the nation’s documentary heritage and making it more accessible
The Friends of The National Archives is a registered charity and voluntary organisation set up in 1988 at the then Public Record Office (PRO) and launched at a conference celebrating 150 years of the setting up of the PRO. We now have over 1100 members across the UK and globally too – including Europe, and North America. We were registered as a charity in 1990. We have a governing Council, comprising members of the Charity with trustee status and responsibility. The governance of the Friends is entirely on a voluntary basis. The Friends is a member of the British Association of the Friends of Museums (BAFM). We also network with other like-minded voluntary organisations supporting local archives, in addition to local and family history societies.
- 20 per cent discount on purchases in the bookshop at Kew and online
- 20 per cent discount on charges for events run by The National Archives
- Special members’ only events including behind-the-scenes tours at The National Archives
- Behind-the-scenes visits to historic places and collections
- The 48-page members’ magazine Magna is published twice a year (May and November)
- The Outreach newsletter is published electronically every two months from February
- Access to our dedicated members’ lounge at Kew
- Members’ area on this website for access to our magazine and newsletter archive, blog, forum and other publications
For more information, please click on the links below:
The new 2019 TNA Bookshop code for members’ to obtain their online bookshop discount, is now available on the Publications page within the members’ area of this website.
The Friends’ Legacy leaflet is now available here.
All members should read our letter regarding the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) Act 2018 in the members’ area here.
Having problems changing your password? Click here.