Please see below for the latest updates.
Helping to preserve the nation’s documentary heritage and making it more accessible
The Friends of The National Archives is a registered charity and voluntary organisation set up in 1988 at the then Public Record Office (PRO) and launched at a conference celebrating 150 years of the setting up of the PRO. We now have over 1100 members across the UK and globally too – including Europe, and North America. We were registered as a charity in 1990. We have a governing Council, comprising members of the Charity with trustee status and responsibility. The governance of the Friends is entirely on a voluntary basis. The Friends is a member of the British Association of the Friends of Museums (BAFM). We also network with other like-minded voluntary organisations supporting local archives, in addition to local and family history societies.
- 20 per cent discount on purchases in the bookshop at Kew and online
- 20 per cent discount on charges for events run by The National Archives
- Special members’ only events including behind-the-scenes tours at The National Archives
- Behind-the-scenes visits to historic places and collections
- The 48-page members’ magazine Magna is published twice a year (May and November)
- The Outreach newsletter is published electronically every two months from February
- Access to our dedicated members’ lounge at Kew
- Members’ area on this website for access to our magazine and newsletter archive, blog, forum and other publications
For more information, please click on the links below:
The new 2020 TNA Bookshop code for members’ to obtain their online bookshop discount, is now available on the Publications page within the members’ area of this website.
The Friends’ Legacy leaflet is now available here.
All members should read our letter regarding the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) Act 2018 in the members’ area here.
Having problems changing your password or accessing the members’ area? Click here.
– Magna magazine May 2020 – this edition is now available for PDF download in the members’ area.
4 July 2020: We are now in a position to advise that hard copies of the May 2020 Magna magazine will be posted to members (including those members who normally collect their edition from TNA at Kew), during the week starting Monday 13 July. Overseas postings may take a few days longer. Please see this Home Page for future updates.
– 23 May 2020 – Hosting of a series of online events by TNA: Please see an Update here.
– 23 May 2020 – IMPORTANT REMINDER: The incorporation vote and COVID-19. Although the SGM on 31 March 2020 was cancelled, the voting process continues and the Ballot and Membership Transfer should still be sent in as directed. The AGM on 16 June 2020 has now been postponed to Tuesday 1 December 2020 and the CIO vote will be finalised at this meeting. Please see SGM Papers in the members’ area for an update and the papers.
– POSTAL COMMUNICATIONS – 20 MARCH 2020: Please do not post any communications to us at The National Archives, Kew, until further notice (unless it is your CIO vote and transfer). TNA and Friends’ staff are now working from home and it will not be possible to collect any post from the Archives. If you do need to contact us by post, please email us first at email@example.com and we will advise you of further action to be taken. We thank you for your co-operation during this challenging time.
– UPDATE JULY 2020: Our website is currently being updated. Would anyone wishing to join the Friends, or apply for Gift Membership, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name and a contact number, and we will contact you with further details regarding your application.