Please see the latest updates HERE.
Helping to preserve the nation’s documentary heritage and making it more accessible
The Friends of The National Archives is a registered charity and voluntary organisation set up in 1988 at the then Public Record Office (PRO) and launched at a conference celebrating 150 years of the setting up of the PRO. We now have over 1000 members across the UK and globally too – including Europe, and North America. We were registered as a charity in 1990 and became incorporated as a CIO in 2020. We have a governing Council, comprising members of the Charity with trustee status and responsibility. The governance of the Friends is entirely on a voluntary basis. The Friends is a member of the British Association of the Friends of Museums (BAFM). We also network with other like-minded voluntary organisations supporting local archives, in addition to local and family history societies.
- 20 per cent discount on purchases in the bookshop at Kew and online
- 20 per cent discount on charges for events run by The National Archives
- Special members’ only events including behind-the-scenes tours at The National Archives
- Behind-the-scenes visits to historic places and collections
- The 48-page members’ magazine Magna is published twice a year (May and November)
- Access to our dedicated members’ lounge at Kew (For the duration of the pandemic the lounge will be a shared space, open to all visitors to the archives to increase the capacity for social distancing, until regulations change and the situation returns to ‘normal’.)
- Members’ area on this website for access to our magazine and newsletter archive, blog, forum and other publications
To join as a Member please click here
For more information, please click on the links below:
- What we do
- For a list of TNA projects that have been funded by the Friends, click here.
- Outreach, our newsletter, is suspended for the foreseeable future due to COVID-19, and news and updates can now be found from the updates link at the top of this page or on our Twitter page. The latest issue of our newlsetter was February 2020. Previous versions of the newsletter can be found in the newsletter archive.)
The new 2022 TNA Bookshop code for members’ to obtain their online bookshop discount, is now available on the Publications page within the members’ area of this website.
The Friends’ Legacy leaflet was updated in July 2021. A copy is now available here.
All members should read our letter regarding the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) Act 2018 in the members’ area here.
Having problems changing your password or accessing the members’ area? Click here.