Friends of The National Archives
This Privacy Notice contains information about data processing and retention. The Friends of the National Archives (FTNA), registered Charity no. 1185971, acknowledge the importance of data protection and take security very seriously. FTNA is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Management of data
The Data Controller and the Data Processor are primarily responsible for ensuring good management and security of all personal data. The Data Controller is responsible for determining the need and means for processing personal data (in any format). The Chairman undertakes this responsibility. The Data Processor is responsible for processing the data on behalf of the Data Controller and the Membership Secretary fulfils this role.
Categories of Data concerned
FTNA only holds the categories of data requested in the membership application form: Title; name; address; email address and phone number.
Source of data
FTNA only holds data provided by members when they join, or subsequently amend or update. No other personal data is gathered from any other source.
Purposes and legal basis for the processing
Under the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR), the lawful basis for processing data is contractual. Members join to enable their subscriptions to assist FTNA in supporting The National Archives (TNA). In return members receive membership benefits. Personal data is only processed for the purposes of maintaining membership and providing membership benefits. Data is not used for profiling, sales or any other purpose unconnected with membership services and benefits. Members’ data is processed by the Data Processor, and occasionally by trustees and officially nominated non-trustee volunteers who have all signed our Data Protection policy. This only occurs for bulk mailing such as renewals and the members’ magazine. Members’ data is also processed by a General Data Protection Regulations (UK GDPR) compliant third party for the purpose of bulk emailing of members.
Additionally, the need for repair or maintenance of our systems may require the need to grant access to a professional third-party to undertake necessary remedial work of the website and other data areas.
Data retention period
Data is retained for the duration of the membership of FTNA and will be deleted when membership ceases, subject to statutory requirements set out in ‘Your Rights’ below.
Recipients of Data
FTNA does not share your data with third parties.
Online payments made through GoCardless and Stripe are subject to their policies. The links are:
- You may object at any time to the further processing of your data.
- You may request access at any time to all your personal data.
- You may request amendment or correction of your personal data at any time.
- You may request erasure of your personal data at any time provided that no right or legal obligation of the Controller requires further processing of your personal data – for example, as may be required by HMRC.
- You may request restriction of processing for your data at any time.
- You may seek advice from us at any time, or raise a complaint, by contacting us at email@example.com.
- For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues you can contact the Information Commissioner at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF, phone the helpline on 0303 123 1113, or check the ICO website at https://www.ico.org.uk.
We undertake not to contact you directly asking for donations, but we may send you details of any fundraising activities for your information.
We undertake not to pass your details to a third party for marketing purposes.
This notice was updated on 29 March 2023.